Wednesday, May 14, 2008

Musicals : The forgotten genre

Only when I watched a couple of musicals that I realized musicals can include conversations apart from songs. In that way almost all the Indian movies I watch are musicals. That was news to me - all long in my life I have been watching musicals naming it as normal movies!

All it started I watched Singin’ in the rain couple of weeks back. I vaguely remembered the title was in AFI’s top 100 Movies list and hence decided to buy the CD.. The tagline said MGM's Musical Treasure and I thought it would be good if it can make it to top 100. It was an amazing romantic comedy themed on the changes in film industry during 1927 when they switch to talking movies or talkies.

The first English musical I saw was so good that I decided to check out imdb list of top 50 musicals and then it happened. I saw the movie ‘Nayakan’ at the top of the list. I saw a couple more of Indian movies in top 10 and then I realized that all throughout my life I have been watching musicals. More Indian movies would have featured there if we all took time to vote for our regional movies.

One thing was sure –hell, I like musicals. I searched to get my hands on some more musicals and indeed I got some more – The sound of music, My Fair Lady, Sweeney Todd: The Demon Barber of Fleet Street, Mary Poppins, and Aladdin. Till now, I have watched the sound of music and Sweeny Todd and I am delighted to have exploring this genre of movies.

The Sound of Music is a story about a wannabe nun, a captain and captain’s seven children. The story takes place in Austria in 1939 when the second world was about to begin. I personally feel that the movie is about following one’s instincts and I just love that concept.

Sweeny Todd, on the other hand is a story that took place in London in sixteenth century, I love the songs in the movie and you would love the movie if you like British English.
Warning: It is a Tim Burton movie and it is a bit violent.

5 comments:

Rakesh said...

oh yeah! I'd discovered the genre a year and a half ago.. I had nothing to do and was searching the movies database at IIMK when I stumbled upon Singing in the Rain... loved it.. and before I knew it, was watching Sound of Music... am yet to see Sweeny Todd though.. nyway, njoy to ur hearts content...

Unknown said...

Was it in IIMK movie DB - I coulda avoided spending 200 bucks .. Totally well spent though

Vipin said...

even i was of ur impression regarding musicals.. thot sweeney todd was the first musical i ever saw .. n i liked sweeney todd.. the whole settings, the music and of course the gory scenes.. :) it did help that i had sub titles while watching it frm home. :)

Horatio said...

More Indian movies would have featured there if we all took time to vote for our regional movies

true true ...


the list is pretty interesting. Lion king is in there :)

Pretty cool warning at the end :)

Unknown said...

@Vip : It always helps when u have subtitles ... some usages are pretty hard to figure out... as we dun use it often in India

@Horatio, Even jungle book and alladin is there

Watched Alladin yesterday ... I can't figure out why I like animation movies